Sunday, December 11, 2011

Saint Nicholas visit

I went to Germany on a business trip, and was staying the night of 5th. December in a hotel. I was told by my Germany colleague that in Germany, children clean and polish their shoes or boots, and put them outside the house on that night. In the morning, if their shoes/boots are really clean, they would find presents, such as chocolate, in them.
Well, the next morning, when I left my hotel room, I found that St. Nick had paid me a visit, even though I hadn't left my shoes outside the hotel room:

I found hotel slippers and a couple of chocolates outside my door!

That night, I flew on a Lufthansa flight, and instead of a typical sandwich and drink, they told us the story of St. Nick and then gave us little chocolates, cookies and a Clementine, in a St. Nick sack:

As a visitor, it was nice to be included in Germany's traditions, twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment